First custom build

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,069
Re: First custom build

Gnine wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

Nice hardtail. What's the frame?

After lots of searching, I ended up buying it off Chain reaction cycles. It's a Brand X HT-01. I can't believe the quality for the price. The geometry was about exactly what I was after, about the only "negatives" I can see, -& I'm really scratching to call them negatives, is that it runs 135mm QR rear dropouts, and IS brake caliper mount. Both very easily sorted, an IS to post mount adapter sorts the brakes for $11, and my rear wheel has both QR & thru axle end caps. Both supplied with the rear wheel, along with a SRAM freehub. A 2 minute job to swap over.

I was looking for a longer lower 29er frame so I could reuse my 29er wheelset, but they seem to be either XC biased (short & sharp) or all mountain/enduro. With geometry to suit a 140 or 150mm fork. Which I really don't want or need. I set mine up with my 100mm 29er fork, which had exactly the right crown to axle length, and a little bit more offset to give a touch more trail, and slightly longer wheelbase. Which is what I wanted, without going extreme. Was looking at some of the Ragley frames, as well as the Norco Torrent, both CrMo, and heavier than my HT-01. And some can only run a 1x crank. And I'm a huge fan of my 2x10 drive train, for my usage. Extremely wide gear range, yet still nice close steps between gear ratios. And being a few generations older, cheap as.

Edit -my whole build cost about the same as the Norco Torrent frame, while coming in at 2kg lighter.

Like I wrote, I'm extremely happy with it. Without really trying, or spending a great deal, it weighs in at 11.9kgs as it sits.

Blimey. You mountain bikers are a different breed. When I used my insurance payout from being taken out by a car at the end of last year I was disappointed when my disc brake road bike weighed in at 7.4kg. I was hoping it would be lighter.

Nice build and isn’t it satisfying when you pick your own components!

Which I think is excellent for a tough as nails, reliable and durable build that didn't cost a bomb, fits me perfectly, and is comfortable as to beat on. I could probably lop another 500gms off that without really trying too hard, but what's the point?

Here's a cr@ppy phone pic or two, from side on. Or thereabouts

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow