Upgrading 70-300 AF-S

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
djd97 Forum Member • Posts: 61
Upgrading 70-300 AF-S

I've been racking my brain about this upgrade for the past couple weeks and can't really decide what the best course of action is for me. I mostly take photographs when traveling and hiking, so portability is very important to me. I probably mostly shoot wildlife but also end up using it whenever I need more than the 24-70. Two things worth noting is that I never use a tripod/monopod and I don't expect that to change; the other point to note is that there's a decent chance I'm going to pick up a 14-30 at some point, and that I'm unlikely to ever bring more than two lenses with me.

My top choice was the Sigma 100-400, but I the AF/VR performance has me a bit worried and on top of that, it may be a bit too bulky for my needs. The Tamron 100-400 solves the AF/VR/zoom direction, but it even bulkier. The other option I was looking at was the 300 pf (and maybe a 1.4x TC), I know it's a lot more expensive and a lot more limiting (nothing <300mm), but it's also nice and compact (and an overall better lens at 300mm). One of the big advantages to a 100-400 is that I could reasonably get away with a 14-30 and a 100-400, while a 14-30 and a 300 seems like a stretch (although, that's all dependent on me picking up a 14-30). The last bit, which has also thrown a wrench in this decision is that I'd prefer a native Z lens, but the 200-600 will probably be too large and the 100-400 S might be too large (if they end up including VR in the lens due to the longer focal length), plus who knows when it'll actually be released.

I guess the question really boils down to:

1. Are the Sigma 100-400 AF/VR issues overblown? (and/or fixable with the dock)
  2. How does the size difference of the Sigma/Tamron 100-400 actually compare to the likes of the 70-300 AF-S/300pf in real world use? Is it that noticeable of a difference?
  3. Is IBIS likely sufficient at 400mm -- thus not requiring VR in the lens itself?
 djd97's gear list:djd97's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow