Mercury Transit - Nov 11, 2019

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SoupOrPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,062
Mercury Transit - Nov 11, 2019

I haven't seen any discussion of the upcoming Mercury Transit on the forum.

Looking around on the web, it appears that Mercury's size on the solar disk is quite small for the November transits. Visually, the images look like it may appear smaller than some ISS transits. (Looks like the sun is 30-35" and the ISS can appear larger than 35"). Also the long duration of the Mercury transit makes a video quite challenging.

I'll be using Nikon 200-500 with 2x TC at f/11 (maybe a 1.4x at f/8, I'll have to compare) on a D750 and can track with SkyGuider Pro--but not for 7 hours!

Are others planning to capture the transit? Thoughts about the most interesting approaches? I'm thinking initial contact and Mercury just inside the sun's disk is most interesting...but very hard to see without significant magnification.

One more thought...a combined ISS and Mercury shot would be awesome! Planning for it is beyond my ability--at least until ISS tracker published data about a week ahead of time.

SoupOrPhoto's gear list:SoupOrPhoto's gear list
Nikon D750
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow