Why reading the manual is a good thing

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,906
Why reading the manual is a good thing

I was taking a few shots at a rehearsal of a show I direct. I thought I'd try out the electronic shutter on my M6II, which has given me good results in other places. Here is what I got in the main room:

And:

But in the other room:

Yes, the lines of uneven illumination (vertical in the vertical shot, and horizontal in the horizontal shot) are exactly what the manual warns about with electronic shutter. Before someone jumps in to tell me why they happen, I know exactly why they happen. I just wasn't thinking. If I'd read the manual entry on the electronic shutter option, I might have thought about it in advance. The lighting in the second room is different. I'm not sure whether it's fluorescent (I'll have to check at the next rehearsal). Unfortunately, you can't engage the anti-flicker option with electronic shutter. I shot in the same room the previous week with the mechanical shutter, and no anti-flicker, without problems. It's just something to watch out for with electronic shutter. Luckily, we have plenty more rehearsals, so the loss of these shots is no big deal.

Moral: read the manual.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +24 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow