Orionids Meteor Shower peaks on Tuesday morning 22 October 2019

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
W5JCK
W5JCK Veteran Member • Posts: 3,395
Orionids Meteor Shower peaks on Tuesday morning 22 October 2019

The Orionids Meteor Shower peaks on Tuesday morning 22 October 2019. Yes, the Moon will be out and about 40% illuminated, but you still might see and capture some meteors as it will be about 36° east of the radiant.

The radiant will be about 10° above and east of Betelgeuse, so it is easy to locate. The radiant will rise in the east about the same time as Betelgeuse.

Depending on your location, you can try photographing the Orionids once Betelgeuse and the radiant rises in the east, and before the Moon rises. This should give you about 90 minutes to 2 hours of early photographing before the moonrise. And you can try again on Wednesday morning before moonrise. Otherwise, the peak time will likely be the last 2 or 3 hours prior to astronomical twilight on Tuesday morning.

Weather permitting I will give it try. Unfortunately I don’t have a view to the eastern horizon for the pre-moonrise attempt, but I’ll set up the cameras to point to the southern sky and hope a few Orionids or Apex Source meteors fly by. I plan to track with my Sony a7 with 50mm f/1.8 lens from 03:30 — 06:30 CDT, placing Orion centered in the FoV. Unfortunately the Moon will be in the sky then, but I might as well try anyway. I also plan to use static mounts on my a6000 with 24mm f/1.4 and my RX100 III set to 24mm eq. and f/1.8, and will point both to the southern sky from 23:30 — 06:30 CDT. The RX100 III is not ideal by any means, but it has captured a meteor in the past, and I have it so I might as well use it. It never hurts to try.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --
 W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +11 more
Sony a6000 Sony a7 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow