MB-D18 Issue/Question...

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg Norrell
Greg Norrell Senior Member • Posts: 1,017
MB-D18 Issue/Question...

I've had my D850 for just under two years, using a third party MB-D18 battery grip with a couple of Nikon EN-EL18b batteries. By setting the camera to use the MB-D18 battery first, I've had essentially unlimited juice with two of the huge batteries.

Recently the camera began working differently. If I go to 'battery info' in the Setup menu, it no longer displays the status of the MB-D18 battery. The shutter release on the grip works, so there's obviously communication between grip and camera. And I think the camera is using some power from the EN-EL18b battery (based on how long it still takes to charge that battery), but the camera battery now is also being used.

So I probably need to send the camera for repair. But I wondered if Nikon changed something in a recent firmware update so that the camera would not primarily use the grip battery for a non-Nikon grip. I did try another non-Nikon grip and got the same result, so the problem apparently isn't with my primary grip. A

Anyone know if Nikon changed something in a firmware update to not use third party grips? Any input is most welcome.

Edit: I should add that the enhanced fps shooting rate is gone now, which is how I noticed the camera was using the camera battery. Also, the grip is MCoPlus, which others have reported here providing the faster shooting rate.

Greg Norrell's gear list:Greg Norrell's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +4 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow