Need help with focusing issue.

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP charley5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,703
Re: Need help with focusing issue.

Simon Elwell wrote:

This is typical! You use the focus and recompose method - a tried and trusted approach for many photographers. All but one of the responses so far have told you to change your technique - and use *their* approach - also tried and trusted.

But why should you have to?

You don't. Focus and recompose is not only a perfectly acceptable way of focusing and framing - but it works just fine in Fuji cameras - as one poster pointed out - you have to get the settings right.

1. Ensure camera is set to single rather than continuous - the three position switch on the front of the camera (ie set to S, not C or M)

2. In the menu set AF to single point

3. Decide whether you want to tether your spot exposure settings to the focus point or to set those independently - the menu option for this in my camera is "interlock spot AE and focus area"

4. in the Release/Focus priority menu set AF-S to "focus"

That should enable you to focus and recompose.

Personally - I'm a back button focuser - but there's nothing wrong with your approach...

Fantastic. I only had to set number 4. Numbers 1 & 2 were already the settings I had. I am not sure I understand number 3. You have been very helpful. thank you.

-Charles

charley5's gear list:charley5's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow