Z7 Shooting With Focus Shift, Z Lenses & FTZ Adapter

Started Oct 17, 2019 | Discussions thread
GuyDagar
OP GuyDagar Regular Member • Posts: 433
Re: Focus peaking

sunnycal wrote:

I have not used focus stacking, but if I have cameras on tripod, I find it easier to put it in manual focus and use focus peaking (for landscapes, the precision is good enough). I would think that making a 3-10 exposure stacks will be simple enough.

Good point. I haven't practiced that yet at this point, but I will try it soon. Certainly this is the alternative when using manual focus lenses that won't work with the focus shift AF feature. This will give new life to older MF lenses that would seem to be limited to single exposures and having to stop down to get the best depth of field.

However, manual focussing and stacking images will be quite laborious if you're shooting something, particularly macro or other close-up work, that requires 50 or 100 shots or more. It just amounts to how lazy one wants to be. We've gotten pretty used to letting the camera do most or all of the work, but often hard work yields better pics.

Thanks for your input!

GuyDagar's gear list:GuyDagar's gear list
Sigma 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow