ISO 800+ -- high noise

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Christof21 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,267
Look at equivalence

GivenToFly wrote:

Hey, all. I own a Canon G7X II and just returned from taking many photos on vacation. I just started learning to edit RAW on Lightroom, but have been disappointed with with the images shot in ISO 800, and very disappointed in ISO 1600 or greater. There is a lot of noise, graininess, and/or softness. This has happened with photos taken in low light during the early stages of a sunrise, as well as low light, indoor photos.

Based on all the reviews I had read, I had the impression that one inch sensors (whether Canon or Sony) were good at ISOs as high as 1600 or even 3200. So am I doing something wrong? Do others have the same experience when shooting in ISO 800+? Is there anything I can do to improve the noise/graininess of images shot at 800+? If the answers to these questions are no, why do all of these reviews commend the ability to shoot in high ISO? And finally, would this problem be significantly addressed with an APS-C camera? How much better is an APS-C at 800 and at 1600 than a one inch sensor?

Thanks in advance for all insight and info you can provide!!

You should look at equivalence, it will answer your questions.

Comparing ISO can be misleading. The theory says that between sensor A and sensor B, ISO x for sensor A will be as good as ISO x × c^2 where c is the crop factor between A and B (ratio of size). So let's say that crop factor is 2 between your camera and a smartphone, then we will have ISO400 (smartphone) = ISO1600 (1" sensor)

But what is important to compare is equivalent apertures. If you had a 1" sensor with a f/4 lens, your camera can be worse in low light than a smartphone !!. This is why aperture equivalency will tell you more about low light ability. Just multiply the aperture with crop factor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow