weather sealing, aesthetics and the EM5 III

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Luke Forrest Contributing Member • Posts: 538
weather sealing, aesthetics and the EM5 III

Taken alone it would be hard to argue that the EM5 III is a bad camera. The EM1 II is still an amazing camera and being much the same but smaller and better looking the EM5 must also be seen as a great camera. The price is high but I personally don't think it's that overpriced. I think it's comparable to the competition. Some have argued that the EM1 II is almost the same price and a little better so why bother with the EM5, but actually looking at the retail prices, the EM5 is still about 25% cheaper. In some areas of the world it be a little less and others a little more but the EM5 is cheaper and you get most of what the EM1 II has.

So why has the EM5 III been getting a lot of criticism on the forums? Personally I think there are a few reasons for this aside from price. Please feel free to disagree with me, I won't be offended, I find it interesting.

Firstly, there is always lots of criticism about every new camera on the forums. Not sure why, I guess people just like to hate.

Secondly, the EM5 doesn't bring anything new to the table. Many would argue it doesn't need to because the camera that it gets its features from is a great one. This is true but the EM5 name comes with a lot of nostalgia. It was the camera that defined Olympus within M43. It was revolutionary as it it brought something completely different. Now the EM5 is just a mid tear product. Mid tear products take components from higher tear products. I'm guessing this creates some identity confusion and causes people to expect more from this line.

Thirdly is the issue of weather sealing. The new EM5 has great weather sealing like the products before it, as it should for the cost of the camera. But here's the rub, what lenses do you use with it? The weather sealed zooms and 1.2 primes are arguably much better suited to the EM1 for reasons of handling. Sure you don't have to use weather sealed lenses on it but you're paying for this feature. The EM5 III just makes a lot more sense if there are some small weather sealed primes to use with it. I can't say for sure but I feel if Olympus had released the camera with a new weather sealed 17mm 1.8, there would be a lot more buzz about the camera. Fuji seem to have the opposite problem. Great small weather sealed lenses but no small body to put them on as neither the XE3 and XT30 are weather sealed.

Lastly, aesthetics. In general I think Olympus make great looking cameras. But a camera body alone is not complete without a lens and one thing I can never understand is why silver lenses and bodies never match. I know aesthetics are not as important as what a camera can do but the retro design of Olympus cameras is obviously a selling point. Why have a champagne coloured 12, 17 and 75mm lens? I guess I'm a little OCD about this but I doubt I'm the only one. My opinion is that Olympus should re-release the 12, 17, 25, 45 and 75mm lenses, all in metal with weather sealing and colours that match the bodies.

This is not meant to be just a dig at Olympus, other brands including the one I use Panasonic also make some very odd choices. None of them are perfect. This is just my analysis of what has caused a certain unhappiness in regards to the EM5 III even though it's a very good camera.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow