ISO 800+ -- high noise

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,468
Re: ISO 800+ -- high noise

GivenToFly wrote:

Hey, all. I own a Canon G7X II and just returned from taking many photos on vacation. I just started learning to edit RAW on Lightroom, but have been disappointed with with the images shot in ISO 800, and very disappointed in ISO 1600 or greater. There is a lot of noise, graininess, and/or softness. This has happened with photos taken in low light during the early stages of a sunrise, as well as low light, indoor photos.

Based on all the reviews I had read, I had the impression that one inch sensors (whether Canon or Sony) were good at ISOs as high as 1600 or even 3200. So am I doing something wrong? Do others have the same experience when shooting in ISO 800+? Is there anything I can do to improve the noise/graininess of images shot at 800+? If the answers to these questions are no, why do all of these reviews commend the ability to shoot in high ISO? And finally, would this problem be significantly addressed with an APS-C camera? How much better is an APS-C at 800 and at 1600 than a one inch sensor?

Thanks in advance for all insight and info you can provide!!

I have a Sony RX100 and what I've seen is that ISO 1600 is OK as long as the image is good and sharp. Here's one I took with the camera on a tripod:

Not too horrible. But most of the time when I'm forced to use high ISO, it's because there's not much light so the shutter speed is low and the lighting is uneven. So it looks like this:

So the image is generally unsharp because of the slow shutter and the contrast is low because of the poor light. Under those conditions, the noise is more apparent and objectionable.

If I were using my D750, I'd run the shutter speed higher and probably use ISO 6400 and it would look much better.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow