Sony needs at least one really good pancake lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,308
Re: Sony needs at least one really good pancake lens

snapa wrote:

jimkohn wrote:

I've just given the Canon 22mm f2 pancake lens a trial run. It is a FANTASTIC lens that I could easily see becoming a mainstay on my M6 Mkii. Really great combination. If Sony had one like this I wouldn't even own the M6.

You should have bought the Sigma 16 f1.4 and cropping it to 22mm and got better IQ,

How would you get better IQ?  That's a big crop.  Cropping at wider angles makes a much larger difference than normal or tele range.  Wouldn't you lose half your pixels or something?
I kind of feel like I should crop my 20mm to 24mm to eliminate any desire to buy a 24mm lens, but that's a pretty hefty crop, and still much less than the jump from 16 to 22!

and saved a lot of money. How much did your M6 MKii and 22mm f2 cost you, vs just getting the Sigma 16 f1.4 and cropping to 22mm?

Or getting the Sony 20mm and calling it good enough? 

If buying a new camera today, it sounds like it's worth looking at, though.  Too bad it wasn't available a decade ago when I was looking for a high-quality, yet compact camera...

BTW, how is that clip-on EVF working out for you?

I'm glad there's at least an EVF available, but in one review, they said you could slip it in a jacket pocket, with the pancake lens.  How about with that EVF sticking out?  Seems like that would be annoying; it's difficult enough to put my cameras in a pocket with just the EVF hood on.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow