Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
Re: It was me, disappointed too.

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

TheSonyEnthusiast wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

Found an A99ii classified ad a few weeks too late.

Someone picked up an A99ii with 2500 clicks in immaculate condition with extra batteries for the listed price (or better) of $1,400 CAD ($1066 USD).

Man.

That would be me, it was a fake ad from a compromised account and eBay canceled the listing. :/

If it was eBay, I was gonna suggest it was something along those lines ... that or a camera with serious issues not accurately described in the listing.

The classified ad was the same eBay listing?

It was a camera listed for $999.00 Buy It Now (MA sales tax is 62.44) with a starting bid of 750.00. I recognized it may be a fraudulent listing because it referred to EOS-HD but the seller ID wasn't eoshd (it was redhotyardman out of Pennsylvania, EOSHD is based in the UK). I committed to buy, contacted eBay, let them know it may be a compromised account, and afterward both them and Paypal prevented payment. I contacted EOSHD to verify they were the seller of this camera, later received an email from eBay confirming what I suspected, and EOSHD sent me a message this morning that wasn't their eBay seller ID.

Before the listing was removed

After listing was removed.

The only way I knew it was likely fraud is I dealt with this before with another a99ii and an FHD5 monitor (I maintain a daily update of new listings to flag every time). The person that hacked the account lifted photos from eoshd and tried to write a listing that sounded legitimate.

This highlights the importance of sites needing to watermark their photos more prominently to prevent this sort of thing.

Well spotted...sharks galore out there....

-Martin P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F4 G SSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow