Is Real-Time Tracking that much of an improvement for running dogs?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jonnyrocket Forum Member • Posts: 98
Is Real-Time Tracking that much of an improvement for running dogs?

Hi, I currently have the a6500 and I mainly shoot dogs and cats using the 24-70 2.8 G Master. I would like to upgrade my camera and am torn between the a6400/a6600 and the a7III. I am leaning towards the a7III because: it has two SD slots, 15 stops of dynamic range compared to around 10-11 on the a6400/a6600, at least one stop advantage on ISO in regards to noise, and lastly, improved AF speed and tracking capabilities over the a6500.

The downsides compared to the a6400/a6600 are that it has no on camera flash (i use this often on the a6500 by pointing the flash upwards to add a bit of light) and no Real-Time Tracking. I think I have mostly made my mind on getting the a7III. I'm just a bit disappointed that I won't be able to use real-time tracking which seems very useful.

Before I buy the a7III, I was hoping to hear people's experience on using Real-Time Tracking on running dogs and cats. Is this really a game changer how it has been advertised or is it still kind of in its infancy? I have read that on the a6400/a6600 it's good but not as great. The glowing reviews I have read about Real-Time Tracking are almost always on the a9 which is outside of my budget.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing people's experience using Real-Time Tracking on running animals!

jon

Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow