What's all this talk about plastic bodies?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,824
Re: What's all this talk about plastic bodies?

dinoSnake wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

you may find this and other such papers interesting:

https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:8573/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Thank you most kindly, an interesting yet disturbing read when applied to aeronautics. In a nutshell: they are working on better theoretical models for testing failure modes on composites but by their own admittance cannot create better real world testing for failure modes, and call for development of better damage assessment but do not really give ideas on what that might entail. So extremely conservative design parameters rule the day.

back in the '80's I spent a few years studying composite failure mechanisms, from the microscopic up to looking for better failure detection methods.

With fatigue failure there was a theoretical stress limit which if kept below, the composite should have infinite life cycles before failure.

As I've been retired for >20 years I don't know if this is still valid but from a scientific point of view it was heck of a fascinating field to work in (I started the late '50s measuring the shape and size of macromolecules in polymers and worked up to full scale composite structures toward the end of my work - one hell of a ride and I got paid for it! )

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow