X100F Left Side of Photos Out of Focus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,481
Re: X100F Left Side of Photos Out of Focus

David Cooke wrote:

Although I've read many discussions and articles on dpreview and being a Nikon user for many years this is my first thread here.

As of the many articles I've read, I fall into those who have wanted to be free and rid of the large camera bag of equipment and go with a smaller setup when needed. Travel photography is what I dedicate the majority of my time to.

After over more than a year of researching, I recently purchased new a Fujifilm X100F this past July 2019. I feel this camera is an excellent choice for my intentions and it's capabilities exceed what I looked for.

Although I should have evaluated my X100F example more closely during the first thirty day return period, unfortunately I didn't. I spent several days setting setting the camera FN buttons and dials to my liking and just experimenting with the camera prior to actually taking any photos. I really like everything about the camera, and honestly an understatement!

After several photos on a trip to Curasao and local areas where I live (taken within the camera return period), I noticed an out of focus area on the left side of the majority of the photos when infinite focus is used. The first few I brushed off as user error. Eventually I did some testing with a tripod and remote shutter button and the photos consistently were out of focus on approximately starting from approximately 20% from the left side of the frame. The majority of photos were taken at f/5.6. Absolutely nothing on lens.

Although many of the photos were taken within the return period of the camera which has been exceeded, the camera is now on it's way to Fujifilm Camera Repair and should arrive shortly and I'm waiting to hear from them.

I'm curious if any has experienced this and what the outcome might have been.

I'm including photos in my gallery for any comments and suggestions. Thanks much.

David

It happens.  Not every account you might read here represents a legitimate issue (some definitely represent user and learning curve issues), but problems with lens IQ, while not prevalent, certainly aren't necessarily rare either.  Most importantly, you'll need a solid methodology for testing lenses, one which takes some of the variables out of the equation.  With any new lens I buy, one of the first things I do is to shoot a test chart (I won't show the picture here again... it's already been in many previous posts of mine), make sure you are absolutely centered to the chart -- and there are various techniques for doing that including mounting a mirror in the center of the chart.

If you're serious about wanting to properly evaluate your lenses, read a previous post of mine which outlines the methodology I use.  There are plenty of ways to do this, and this is just one, but it might help get you started.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63202861

Good luck and hope this helps somewhat.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow