Speedlite 580 ex suddenly gave overbright pics TTL when was on ETTL whats going on ?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DBenz01 Forum Member • Posts: 98
Speedlite 580 ex suddenly gave overbright pics TTL when was on ETTL whats going on ?

Hi,

EOS70D with my beloved Speedlite 580ex (not ex ii) on top used since days I had 20D and now 3 yrs or so with 70D. My workhorse flashgun.  never had an issue.

I have taken many shots with it so I do know how it works.

It always works straight from batteries in, onto hotshoe and turn on. First shot on a shoot and its totally overexposed lets say 7 stops ! almost white.

I manage to get it behaving yet dont know how, and then a bit later same problem.

After more on and off moments success wise I give up, remove and shoot with pop up, all ok.

try again and all is ok then it does it again.

Looking at the data for the shots the bad ones are TTL and the good ones are E-TTL.

I turn it on now and look at back, says TTL, place onto camera and take a photo, looks ok and its saying E-TTL. gradually remove it expecting the pins to lose contact with plates and it to go TTL so showing me maybe dirty contacts, but its still E-TTL and now its free in my hands !

What is going on ?

I cant get it to say TTL on the back, is TTL an option, how is it turned on and off ?

DBenz

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow