An Odious Foveon v Other Comparison.

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 15,677
An Odious Foveon v Other Comparison.

The following comparison images are a bit tongue-in-cheek and TOTALLY unfair.

Yesterday and today I shot the same scene in search of a themed style, namely 'land clearance'. Shooting with a theme is arty-crafty, I've read.

First up, the SD15 with a 17-50mm f/2.8:

Shot in full spectrum from a crouched position

Nice 3D machete but, ...

... quite frankly, the SD15 is not ergonomically friendly toward this unsteady old man with his wobbly legs, etc. The fixed LCD, the optical viewfinder, no live histogram, heavy and so forth ... grump.

Next up, the Panasonic GH1 with a 14-45mm kit lens:

Ooh La La! The fully articulating LCD, the magnified live view manual focus-by-wire, the live-view histogram, all the current settings on the LCD, the lightness ... yummy! Yes, I realize that the sd series has much of that stuff - except of course the articulating LCD, lightness and tiny m4/3 lenses.

I'm leaning more and more towards the Panasonic - since my shots aren't that good anyway and, oft-times, Foveon v. CFA technical considerations go right out of the window when ease-of-use becomes more attractive ...

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 +17 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow