Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
flyinglentris
flyinglentris Contributing Member • Posts: 723
Re: Catalina anyone?

Tom_N wrote:

BurnImage wrote:

Philip Eihuyar wrote:

Thats all good except for:

Quite a few apps no longer work and I just trashed them and will find alternatives. Roxio Toast will have to be upgraded at around $100 and the Blue ray ripper/player I was using is gone -any suggestions on replacement?

The need to spend $100 dollars plus on new software to replace perfectly good software that worked before sounds pretty grim to me. I’d not describe that as “no issues at all”

Apple announced well in advance that Catalina would not run 32-bit applications. So this isn't a bug – "just" an expected and unpleasant loss of functionality.

That said, if you have a lot of 32-bit applications, this is a good reason for not upgrading, or for having multiple startup disks (e.g., one Catalina, one Mojave).

I just took the Catalina plunge and yes, have noted a couple casualties and one app with bad behavior.

Canon's  Style Editor and Map utilities are the casualties.    I rarely, if ever, use either of these, no big loss.

Norton Security works to do scans, etc., but now complains constantly that it is at risk and asks to fix now.   When fix now is clicked, it fails to download the update it intends. I checked the web to see what others were seeing with regard to Catalina and Norton and the story is worse for many who apparently updated earlier.    Symmantec has apparently not done their homework with regard to Catalina and its Beta release and now has their pants down for millions of MacOS users to see them has having dropped the security ball in play and put them all at risk and they still haven't cleaned up their act.   Luckily, I am not effected with regard to security and have work arounds.

-- hide signature --

"If you are among those who believe that it has all been done already and nothing new can be achieved, you've murdered your own artistry before ever letting it live. You abort it in its fetal state. There is much that has yet to be spoken in art and composition and it grows with the passage of time. Evolving technologies, world environments and ideologies all drive change in thoughts, passion and expression. There is no way that it can all ever be done already. And therein lies the venue for the creative artist, a venue that is as diverse as the universe is unmapped and unexplored." - Quote from FlyingLentris
~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow