85mm 1.4 GM Aperture Noise Clicks (NOT AF MOTOR) - Is this normal?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GaryLiao New Member • Posts: 9
85mm 1.4 GM Aperture Noise Clicks (NOT AF MOTOR) - Is this normal?

Hi everyone,

I just got an 85mm 1.4 GM tonight and have been testing the lens for a couple of hours. During my testing I noticed out of the blue that the lens was making quite obvious clicking noises when turning the camera on and off. This occurred out of the blue with no obvious cause until I realized it was the aperture mechanism.

Basically like most other sony lenses the 85mm GM stops down when the camera powers down, and during that and power up where rapid changes in aperture size occur causes these clicks (i.e focusing at f/11 in low light with live view turned off). I have attached a YouTube video showing the issue here: https://youtu.be/QVPKoV6AAUM

As far as I can tell this doesn’t affect the function of the lens and the aperture mechanism but I wanted to see if anyone else here who owns the lens has noticed this. I probably wouldn’t even be concerned if the noise didn’t change so suddenly on a new lens (in fact according to the box my copy was made in July 2019), and other sony lenses also have noises when the aperture changes rapidly (although they don’t make a clicking noise). Anyways thanks in advance for any input!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow