Re: No lens announcements?

SHood wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

Androole wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Oly put out a vague roadmap in January. It left a lot of people scratching their heads.

It would be great to know what's next.

I hope something is released before the spring release of the 150-400.

We know what's next. The 150/400/4.5 in early 2020.

But what about the rumoured 8-25mm/f4 PRO? Or the consumer grade super-tele to compete with the PL100-400mm?

There was a bunch of stuff on the roadmap that people would love to know more about.

The 8-24/4 is just a patent. Think 5 years before we see that as every company, even using standardized focal lengths, has to develop their own proprietary lens formula for intellectual property reasons.

It's not just a patent, it's on the roadmap, plain as day. "Wide Zoom Lens" with the exact right focal range.

Those are just common and standard FLs put in for potential "holding".

The ones with actual numbers are in real world development.

The next release is clearly noted.

Just look at the silliness of the "Bright Prime Lens" holding text indicating a massive potential range. Given it's a prime, we actually have no idea....

Given the dramatically shrinking dedicated camera market we can expect only 1-2 lenses (including remakes) per year from Olympus going forward. If the market isn't growing, then the lens inventory will not grow either.

As previously noted the primes lenses on this roadmap is shown as a range, Your last comment is just a guess based on your perceptions. As previously mentioned the 12-200mm was already announced and matched up exactly with the High Magnification Zoom lens shown in the roadmap. Olympus is very clear in this interview from early this year on the type of lenses that are coming and match up with what is in the roadmap. 'They specifically mention that other Pro lenses will be announced before the 150-400mm so this is not the next lens to be released.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/03/04/olympus-qa-cpplus-2019-finally-why-e-m5-iii-running-late-why-not-to-worry

As we have shown in our lens roadmap, Olympus has already focused on three points. First, enriching the telephoto shooting lens for all users from professional to entry users, by taking advantage of Micro Four Thirds characteristics. Second, to develop high-speed prime lenses for professionals and high amateurs. Third, to enrich zoom lenses in the pro category that only Micro Four Thirds can offer. We try to develop several lenses every year. Of course, there will be pro lenses released before the 150-400mm pro launch in 2020. Please be on the lookout for more information for what's coming. But I say again, we launch new lenses every year...

Not sure where this "we" comes from. The rest is just marketing word barf.

I'm saving my money for the 150-400. I'm not buying any other lenses/bodies before then. And if the 150-400 is an overpriced dog then I won't buy any more lenses and Oly/Panny won't be getting any more of my money.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow