What's all this talk about plastic bodies?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,387
Re: What's all this talk about plastic bodies?

Raist3d wrote:

MrALLCAPS wrote:

• Auf Reisen wrote:

peter ny wrote:

In his review, Robin Wong says the entire body is polycarbonate, which disagrees with the specs DPR has posted. I couldn't find any information about body materials on the Olympus site.

Wex says it's magnesium alloy as well.

So who to believe, a Store or one that works for Olympus?

I can't decide! It's too hard!

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-iii-digital-camera-body-black-1719279/

Robin would not say it's all plastic, without having been told by someone in the knows within his organization. Him saying "all plastic" sounds to me like this includes the internal chassis. Mind you, he says nothing negative about it. After all he is an Olympus employee. But in his video he mentions it at some length:

"instead of using Magnesium alloy construction which was used in the EM5mk2, this new EM5Mk3 is fully made of plastic. When I first heard about the plastic construction I was not fully convinced, but holding the camera in my hand it does feel very solid and reassuring......"

So, he is saying that he is not convinced about plastic constructions. But the feel in his hands (and probably his boss) reassured him. Why else formulate it as above, he could simply have said "it's more plastic" - or not mention it at all.

Another way to look at the question is this:

If I had to chose between two otherwise perfectly identical cameras, one with metal chassis the other with plastic and a little lighter, at the same price, I would 100% sure chose metal. Now, if the plastic version was say 25% cheaper (as it ought to be), then the choice would be much harder - I may consider the plastic version.

As it is, there is no metal version of the EM5mk3. But there is the all metal EM1.2 for 20% more. And given the choice, despite me putting great value on size, I think the EM1.2 along with it's extra features is the better overall value of the two. You get a battle tank instead of a Humvee for just a little more. Let's hope the EM5.3 price soon comes down to where it belongs. Nobody would worry about plastic, if the EM5.3 was priced accordingly, eg around US$900.

Likewise, nobody would complain, if Olympus did show that the plastic they use was really some engineered hi-tech wight saving plastic, not just some plain cost saving plastic just one step above recycled food containers. As it is, it seems a big chunk of the weight savings is due the smaller battery.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow