Here is a real question re: 12-40 versus the Panny 35-100 F2.8?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 3,714
Here is a real question re: 12-40 versus the Panny 35-100 F2.8?

I have had these lenses for 5 years, but seldom had occasion to compare them because I really don't often use both of these lenses on the same or similar compositions. But on September 4th I took a few images with the 12-40 @40mm that didn't look very sharp at all, yet the ISO was fine and the SS was good. Only a small part of the image was sharp and yet there was little depth in the image as it was at a distance of a few hundred yards. But I also shot that image (set of 4) at F4.5, whereas I would usually shoot at F7.1. A little earlier I had shot essentially the same image from a different location at F7.1, 40mm. That shot looked very good.

Anyway this experience made me think. Yesterday I shot a good deal with the 35-100 F2.8 because I had it on the camera for birds. Basically, shooting at F5.6 and F7.1 with the telephoto, I was blown away by the image quality. They were just incredibly sharp and from corner to corner and center. It seems to me, and this is hard to compare directly, that the 35-100 F2.8 is actually sharper than the fantastic 12-40.

This was shot as a 11.4MB LSF jpeg reduced here to 5 MB.

For those of you who have both the 12-40 and 35-100 F2.8, what is your guess as to the relative sharpness of these two lenses? Lens tests seem to give a slight advantage to the 12-40.

As to the dilemma with the early September 40mm shots, my conclusion at this time is that my particular 12-40 lens may not, for some reason, be sharp at 40mm F4.5. I would have little experience with this because I would seldom try to shoot the 12-40 at F4.5. I normally shoot in the range of F5.6 to F7.1 and occasionally at a higher F-stop for DOF. Obviously this is something I could test at F4.5.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow