What's all this talk about plastic bodies?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,391
Re: What's all this talk about plastic bodies?

JaKing wrote:

My E-30 had a polycarbonate composite body and alloy chassis, and my E-510 was mostly polycarbonate with some internal metal bits. They are 10 and 12 years old respectively, and still function perfectly.

In some ways, I prefer the E-30 build parameters, as strong composites are far tougher than metal when it comes to shock resistance. My E-510 is the only camera I have ever dropped in over 60 years. Not a mark on it. That was on the second day I owned it . Still works perfectly.

I do appreciate that both my E-M1s are built like tanks, but does it really matter for the vast majority of us? I doubt it.

In practical use, probably not. But be honest, do you wear a plastic watch? Would you buy plastic earrings for your spouse?

BTW thanks to Helen, Chris and others who have addressed the lack of correct factual information in such detail.

There is a huge differece in strength and cost between plain Polycarbonate, and reinforced Polycarbonate. Unfortunately, those few cameras and lenses I have taken apart used just plain Polycarbonate.  Indicating it was used to save cost, not weight.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow