Fujinon 18-55mm f/2.8-f/4 vs Konica 57mm f/1.4 (X-T3)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 1,026
Fujinon 18-55mm f/2.8-f/4 vs Konica 57mm f/1.4 (X-T3)

Question is originally raised in another Fuji forum - how an old and manual Konica 57mm f/1.4 lens, being recognized as great for portraits (especially on crop sensors, due to field of view), fares in landscape photography, especially in comparison to something majority of Fuji users are familiar with, namely Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-f/4 zoom lens.

Owning both, and catching (just) a (tiny) bit of spare time, I gave them a quick comparison run. Posting here as well, for whomever finds it interesting.

First two series consist of the ultimate lens test subject - lo and behold - "a brick wall of all knowledge" (on a serious note, I was afraid I won`t have the time to find a suitable landscape scene, so noticing a wall close by, I worked with what I had at hand...).

Both lenses shot at f/4, f/5.6, f/8 and f/11, Konica at 57mm, Fuji at 55mm, ISO 160, manual focus (same for first three Konica shots, later refocused for each aperture change, just in case). Distance to wall roughly 2.5 meters, X-T3 camera mounted on a tripod, 2 seconds self-timer.

For the first series focus was in center of the frame, for the second one it was placed top left (to check lens field curvature... if any at such a close distance, eh).

Third series might be more interesting, as I did eventually manage to find something "landscape-like" for a real-life shooting comparison - I wasn`t very satisfied still, but clock was ticking, so I took what I had once again.

Same settings as before, manually focused on the church (with a cross on its roof) at the upper left, refocused per each aperture change, just starting from wide open Konica this time, full stops up to f/11 as before.

All images, coming in following posts here, are straight-out-of-camera (SOOC) JPEGs. For anyone interested, I can post RAWs, too (providing you have a place for me to upload them).

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +10 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow