85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Senior Member • Posts: 1,215
Re: 85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

stimmer wrote:

I didn't notice the CA too much. I agree with you I think I have a sharp copy of the 85G. I don't think it's a crazy amount of difference between the two at all.

I have noticed a tint toward green with the 85G. Seems to handle flare okay if not perfectly.

I need to try this test under controlled conditions. I had people walking around us and I was switching lenses and I didn't get the same focal length each time either. It really does look like blur or shutter shock with the 85S lens. Not sure why but I never have IS turned off so I need to look at that.

Set the shutter type to AUTO.

What AF mode did you use?

I think there is a little difference in 1.4 vs 1.8. Subtle but it's there. My only reason for keeping that lens is just to avoid the trouble of selling it and just returning the 85S.

It also LOOKS more impressive but it doesn't mean that it is more impressive. I need to try it out a little more. I have a photoshoot Sunday and I think I will use the 85S lens a bunch to try it under pressure.

If I can get the results I want easily and I can sell the 85G then I will probably go that way.

SaltyPeanut wrote:

stimmer wrote:

Yes, setting exactly the same. It was a super quick shoot. I just threw it on aperture priority and shot. I thought I had it on auto iso but maybe not. I agree a faster shutter speed would help.

my thoughts are that I’m more impressed with my 85 1.4 than i thought I would be. Doesn’t make sense for me to keep both so I have a hard decision ahead.

Your G has CA everywhere, where the S has none. Look at his arms/hands, ankles/sneakers and the pots with red flowers in the background, by the stairs, for example.

Only odd thing here is the S should be sharper, but sharpness looks the same, though it looks like it has some blur...was IBIS on? Looks like you got lucky and have a sharp 85 G in your hands. Hardly any difference in bokeh between 1.4 and 1.8 here though, so in that case, what's the point in keeping the G, assuming the S will focus better/faster on a z body?

Also funny how the G has the traditional Nikon green tint, but the S has the opposite tint towards magenta.

What pic control did you use? Try a few more in neutral pic control, higher shutter speed, iso 100, IBIS on normal?

Are these RAWs exported from LR or SOOC JPEGs?

What AF mode did you use?

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow