85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

Started Oct 18, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219
Re: 85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

There is a character of the 85G that is there. Definitely less clinical in nature.  More issues to work around but in good light it's still a great lens.

MSullivan wrote:

SaltyPeanut wrote:

stimmer wrote:

Yes, setting exactly the same. It was a super quick shoot. I just threw it on aperture priority and shot. I thought I had it on auto iso but maybe not. I agree a faster shutter speed would help.

my thoughts are that I’m more impressed with my 85 1.4 than i thought I would be. Doesn’t make sense for me to keep both so I have a hard decision ahead.

Your G has CA everywhere, where the S has none. Look at his arms/hands, ankles/sneakers and the pots with red flowers in the background, by the stairs, for example.

Only odd thing here is the S should be sharper, but sharpness looks the same, though it looks like it has some blur...was IBIS on? Looks like you got lucky and have a sharp 85 G in your hands. Hardly any difference in bokeh between 1.4 and 1.8 here though, so in that case, what's the point in keeping the G, assuming the S will focus better/faster on a z body?

Also funny how the G has the traditional Nikon green tint, but the S has the opposite tint towards magenta.

What pic control did you use? Try a few more in neutral pic control, higher shutter speed, iso 100, IBIS on normal?

Are these RAWs exported from LR or SOOC JPEGs?

What AF mode did you use?

The funny thing is, looking at these photos at web sizes and not zooming in much the LoCA of the G lens actually seems to give the image more 'character', whereas the S lens feels more clinical, at least to me. Still, you can see that the LoCA is adding a lot of green to the OOF backgrounds.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow