EXR .RAF conversion (again)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
prime Senior Member • Posts: 2,238
EXR .RAF conversion (again)

These days, I shoot with our Fujifilm X10 predominantly in RAW+JPG mode. I have tried processing the .RAF files with several software packages, including the X10's internal conversion option, RAW FILE CONVERTER EX 3.0 by Silkypix, Luminar (currently version 3), and CaptureOne Pro 12 (and, to a lesser extent, Raw Therapee, Affinity trial version, and some others).

At the end of September, I underwent a Total Hip Replacement, and since have been severely mobility limited during the fall foliage season as I recover from the procedure. While basically confined indoors, however, I have amused myself photographically with documentation of modifications that we made to our living quarters to ease life through the recovery period. Those included grab-bars in the shower and stairwell, a new ADA height commode to replace the low-boy 1992-vintage toilet in the master bathroom, which we also fitted with a supplemental riser; a cage around another (already ADA height) toilet in the downstairs powder room; and an entirely new hybrid latex mattress to replace the 1995-vintage Sealy Latex Foam Posturpedic that remained comfortable and did not sag anywhere, but which no longer gave us fully sufficient edge support when getting in and out of bed.

With those two explanations, therefore, I present here a comparison between the in-camera .JPG rendition and a CaptureOne conversion from the .RAF file of a single press of the shutter of the X10, with the subject of the photograph that (I assume) differs from the subject of any controlled JPG vs. RAW comparison you have seen before. The scene is a new Kohler Betello toilet with a Carex 3.5" riser affixed between the top of the bowl and the toilet seat, in a bathroom where I neglected to empty the wastepaper basket before pressing the shutter. It shows the range of shades of white captured by the sensor.

The images below are best viewed and evaluated whilst listening to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM

The lighting was entirely natural daylight coming through a window 90° to the left of the camera position, which did not supply enough light for a fast shutter speed. I hand-held the shot, standing supported by my surgically-repaired hip, with, however, my shoulder and upper arm braced against a door frame.

Camera in P mode, ISO Auto400, DR400, medium size.

SOOC .JPG image; roll over image for EXIF.

File in .jpg format produced from .RAF file using CaptureOne Pro 12; I probably should have used a lower value on the Highlight Dynamic Range slider, as you can see at the base, near the rug, there is a greyer shade of pale.

[Coda: after I posted the message above, I looked at my post and checked out the images at Original size. Panic! Is that a crack (on the side next to the aqua colored magazine holder) in the bowl of our new toilet? Fortunately, no. It is a stray hair from the mane of a beautiful Japanese woman. Whew!]

Fujifilm X10 Phase One Capture One Pro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow