Why aren't camera companies better at naming camera models?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ILoveAsianGirls Junior Member • Posts: 44
Why aren't camera companies better at naming camera models?

I think there's really been a lost opportunity for camera companies to stand out more from a branding perspective by giving their cameras names that resonate with customers and actually mean something rather than random collections of numbers and letters.

The best example of this is Canon Rebel, which is the name used in the U.S. for entry-level consumer DSLRs. If you hear about a new Canon Rebel camera, you can easily associate it with a specific genre of camera, regardless of what specific model it is or what numbers and letters come after it. You pretty much know what you're getting and whether it's for you or not. Rebel is also a cool-sounding name that many American customers might feel positively about associating with.

Unfortunately, pretty much every other line of cameras, even from Canon, fails to take advantage of this naming concept. I suppose there's Canon PowerShot, Sony CyberShot, and Nikon Coolpix for compacts, but that market is virtually dead and is clearly way beyond the help that any branding improvements could offer. Panasonic uses Lumix for pretty much all their cameras so it means basically nothing. Sony used to have Alpha but they just shrotened it to A, and even still it applied to much too broad a range of products, especially after they abandoned NEX (a meaningless name that was still kind of cool).

I'm not sure what the downside would be to a little more creativity when it comes to differentiating different product lines of ILC cameras. Think Nikon Rogue, Sony Sniper, Panasonic Prowler, or Olympus Immortal. Laugh at my examples all you want, for they are just that. I'm sure some professional marketing analysts could come up with better ones. But it's sure easier to engage people with names like those than with D7400, A7R IV, or E-M5 MK III. Those all sound like internal product numbers, they add absolutely zero value to the consumer or the brand. I understand that some kind of lettering and numbering system is necessary once you start churning out new Olympus Immortal models every year or two, but nobody cares about the numbers. Just the name. Shooting Canon means a lot less to anyone than shooting Canon Rebel.

Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow