Fuji 16-55 Vs 16-80 compared

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stoneh Ray
Stoneh Ray Regular Member • Posts: 129
Fuji 16-55 Vs 16-80 compared

I have been mainly a prime shooter with Fuji, recently decided to invest in a wide-medium zoom. When the 16-80 was announced it was perfect for what I needed, light, WR, OIS, range, weight and size. Ideal for 90% of my photography needs from landscapes to portraiture. Perfect on paper at least.

Now I have the lens and the issues I discovered have been well documented in my other thread as well as the comparison with 55-200.

I have read and seen on youtube people saying its as good as the 16-55 and also some primes, before reading further I would just state that its no where near as good as the 16-55 (my 2 copies werent).

I have posted wall images below, weather been so poor in UK so not had time to test fully but what we know is that wall sharpness tests isnt everything in overall IQ. What ive found is the contrast and micro-contrast in 16-55 that just lifts the images. The purpose of this thread is also to all existing 16-55 owners, i have read the lens is sharp corner to corner, I dont think mine is and would love to hear from you owners if my copy is a good one.

For the wall test, I've used same body for comparison so its like for like, on a tripod IS off

Stoneh Ray's gear list:Stoneh Ray's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow