A7-R2 Focusing modes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 59,103
A7-R2 Focusing modes

Hey, I`m pretty new to the R2 , had it only a few days, got it for commercial work mainly as a compact alternative to my heavy Nikon DSLR rig - the work does include parks and gardens and would like to discuss AF on this camera ..

I`m planning on getting the Tamron 28-75 as its size and weight is in line with the camera (Stick a G-Master on and may as well lug a D850) , but grabbed a cheap used Sony 28-70 pulled from an A7-III Kit as a tryout and Future cheap emergency backup .... I`ll be likely getting the new Samyang ultrawide AF prime too ..

Camera and lens have latest firmware but What i`m seeing when using the usual Single-AF , smallest focus box Single shot setup is constant front focusing when shooting longer distance scenes such as parks and gardens, Shoot for furthest in the scene at 28mm (to get the whole lot in focus) and 20 or less feet away is sharpest instead of the furthest point. this is pretty consistent and is the same regardless of the size of the focus square or if I set the AF to Expand ..

I`ve read about this issue with a few A7 series bodies and even my RX cams (10 & 100 both Mk3s) have a penchant for front focusing occasionally if you let them (same AF setting) .... the suggested Cure for the A7 series in various threads was use Continuous AF , and yes it does work too but takes away the abillity to focus and Recompose Which is essential on a camera with no "Touchpad AF" Feature (no touchscreen) .. this isn`t a deal breaker , just asking for a better method

I remember a FF issue when I had an A7R1 for a while in 2015 with the 24-70 F4 but put it down at least in part to that lens suffering Focus shift amongst a myriad of other things as the R1 doesn`t have PDAF to get confused

focusing and then locking the AF using the MF button is a workaround but was wondering if there was an easier method ?? ..

is there an AF mode which doesn`t front focus large scenes in single AF ? - is the 28-70 worse for this ? , it`s not focus shift as its the same at all apertures .. Is there a way of disabing PDAF and just using the more accurate CDAF for these kind of scenes ? .. is Lock on AF still useless in the R2 as it is reported in the other older Sony cams RXs included (everyone seems to bash it up til the latest revisons) , it could be useful for family shoots . Which modes are best avoided full stop ?

Fantastic camera, I`m sure it`ll be superb for the job with the Tamron / Samyang setup but would like to get my Ducks in a Row Re AF modes ..

Thanks

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Nikon D700 Sony a7R II +1 more
Sony a7 Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow