5DIV afma

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pocket Lint Contributing Member • Posts: 574
5DIV afma

Today I finally decided to comprehensively fine tune my autofocus micro adjustment on my 5D Mark IV and paired with my EF 50mm f/1.2L.

I started noticing my focus was very slightly off when reviewing my images with this lens.

If you’re a forum pro then move along, this is old news for you 😏, but if someone is interested in my method then keep reading.

I used two different methods to complete my AFMA, to achieve the best possible results and to be able to reference one method to the other. All of this was done using only my camera, lens, tripod, a few miscellaneous objects I had at home, and Lightroom.

Method 1:

First, I set up my camera on a tripod and ensured everything was perfectly level. I then tilted my camera downward 45 degrees pointing to my countertop. I had my target laying flat on the counter and took my first reference shot in LiveView.
I then took another shot through the viewfinder, wide open, with no adjustments. This is my baseline.

I then subsequently went through all 20 adjustment values after I determined my camera was back focusing by about an inch.

Method 2:

I then took some pencil lead, and staggered them apart upright, with the pencil lead in-between the bristles of a brush.

Again, I took a reference shot in LiveView and one normal test shot, no adjustments to get my baseline.

I repeated the steps of going through all the adjustment values.

Lighroom process:

Once my photos were imported to Lightroom, I flagged the LiveView reference shots to easily identify them.

I turned on the comparison view and compared all my values from method one and method two, and went back and forth between all the values and quickly determined that there was an optimal range from about -11 to -20.

I carefully examined those photos in that range and determined -14 was the best value to my eyes.

Took a few pictures afterwards and I’m a happy shooter again!! Looking forward to using this lens with better confidence at f/1.2 😊

-- hide signature --

I just got in to photography and I love the artistic and technical aspect of it.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow