Is the a7riv super noisy?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
LarryRC Regular Member • Posts: 209
Re: I have to admit...

MedicineMan999 wrote:

Adam another way to look at it is how manageable is the noise. If it's digital is has noise eh and remember the 7D's noise manageability by chance? It's all relative compared to where you're coming from (I come from a Nikon F2 Photomic of the 1970s) and your expectations. There's always a give-n-take and I'll take the extreme cropability of the Riv and suffer the added noise penalty; many would not.

Here's a crap example of really pushing it. I'm lucky in that I've always got ducks to BIF practice on less than a block from the house...unlucky in that they always always fly before the Sun has crested the hill. Not 100 percent dark but 100 percent suck for any good light on them. Hey, they fly back after sunset too! So this shot 10 min's after sunrise but 30 min's before helping me any at all.

Acceptable image? Probably not to many if not most. Great BIF practice? Absolutely! and a great way for me to see how the a7Riv's tracking and EVF refresh rate are (I won't be selling my a9).

Not only was this at crazy ISO 12,800 but a large crop as well.

I shoot Nikon too and shot Canon for years, so not defending Sony or justifying my purchase ( I shot 5Dsr for several years and had a good feel for the massive megapixel limitations I'd face with the Riv), just offering another perspective.

I like it.  It captures some unique light.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow