RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,805
Re: Phase detect auto-focus

dibe wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

dibe wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

Brent Lossing wrote:

. . .
@Brent. I understand the Mark III will have improved noise control so that ISO 6400 is now like ISO 1600 in the Mark II.

Where did you get that information from? A 2 stop improvement is high ISO noise would be sensational and would be headlines in the news section. The sensor is the same as the E-M1.2 and that certainly is nowhere near 2 stops better than the E-M5ii.

Maybe you are referring to the improvement in IS, and particularly Sync IS with suitable lenses. That is probably a 2 stop improvement over the E-M5ii.

The review here (ephotozine ) has this statement:

Olympus says that the ISO performance has been improved by 2 stops, and ISO6400 is as good as ISO1600 on the E-M5 II, according to Olympus. We’ll have to test this to find out. This also means that Auto ISO can use higher ISO speeds without as much worry about noise.

So, still to be confirmed. But any improvement is of course always welcome.

OK, to keep this within your narrowly defined topic -
<ISO performance is a feature, correct ?>

If that ISO improvement is anywhere near true, I will change my mind and be seriously interested.
I will be watching closely for DXO's ratings and the DPR studio scene low-light comparison.

-- hide signature --

I'm not a perfectionist, I'm a precisionist.
rd

RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow