E-M5 Mark III feature discussion

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,626
Re: E-M5 Mark III feature discussion

Oboyle wrote:

For me the only announcement that really raised my eyebrows was the ipx certification. That's a nice bit of added peace of mind if you want to take it out into the muck. As far as I know the em1x is the only other mirrorless body with the rating.

Yes and no. The E-m1 mark I, E-m1 mark II, and E-m5 mark II all have wording similar to:

Equivalent to IEC Standard publication 529 IPX1 (under OLYMPUS test conditions)

While the E-m1x just states it is rated to IPX1 without the weasel words 'Olympus test conditions'. In the Olympus events where they introduced the E-m1x, they mentioned that they went to the TG-5 TG-6 and used the same seals they used (the TG-5 is rated to IPX8 for splash resistance and IP6X for dust resistance) in the E-m1x. Olympus also mentioned, that while officially they use the IPX1 rating, they actually test the E-m1x to IPX4 standards.

So I would hope the same sort of sealing is done for the E-m5 mark III.

Note, the E-m1x says that splash resistance is only with OLYMPUS splash resistant lenses. Given I've already had an incident with a Panasonic 'splash proof' lens (100-300mm mark II) on a Panasonic 'splash proof' body (G85), where a salt water splash rendered the lens inoperable for awhile, I do tend to feel for heavy rain, you want both Olympus body and lens.

Unfortunately, nowhere in the Panasonic manuals do they mention IPX at all. The G95 manual for instance says:

Splash Resistant is a term used to describe an extra level of protection this camera
offers against exposure to a minimal amount of moisture, water or dust. Splash
Resistant does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this camera is subjected
to direct contact with water.

In order to minimize the possibility of damage please be sure the following
precautions are taken:

• Splash Resistant works in conjunction with the lenses that were specifically designed to support this feature.
  • Securely close the doors, socket caps, contact points cover, flash, etc.
  • When the lens or cap is removed or a door is open, do not allow sand, dust, and moisture to enter inside.
  • If liquid gets on the camera, wipe it off with a dry soft cloth.
 Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow