There will be a brief outage for database maintenance in approximately 2 hour(s) 6 minutes

GX-9 vs OM-D E-M5 Mark III vs Something Else

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 4,781
Re: GX-9 vs OM-D E-M5 Mark III vs Something Else

thegurge wrote:

I've had a GF-1 for years, I guess 10 or so. I love that camera but have been wanting to upgrade.

I was pretty much wedded to the GX-9 but then I thought I'd wait for the new Olympus. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic still.

But I also think about moving to a new system, like Sony AR7s (but I can't justify the price for my requirements), Fuji X Series, or even the new Nikon Z 50.

The rate I'm going I'll probably stay with my GF-1!

I'll just speak for the GX9. If you are comfortable with a RF style camera then I would highly recommend it. Basically the same functionality as EM5 III minus a few small things like high res that is limited to static subjects.  I'm sure there are a few other differences, but nothing big for general photography.

Biggest complaint you'll hear is a small field sequential EVF. Not a huge VF but very sharp and for me the field sequential EVF is a non issue. If you go that route be sure to get the grip for it. Makes the camera handle much better and isn't very expensive (about $60 US).

At $400 less (in the US) than the EM5 III and including a kit lens with a very useful FL range, it really is one of the best bargains in m43 right now.

No matter which one you get you'll see a huge difference from your GF1.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow