GX-9 vs OM-D E-M5 Mark III vs Something Else

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
G Rash Senior Member • Posts: 2,724
Re: GX-9 vs OM-D E-M5 Mark III vs Something Else

thegurge wrote:

I've had a GF-1 for years, I guess 10 or so. I love that camera but have been wanting to upgrade.

I was pretty much wedded to the GX-9 but then I thought I'd wait for the new Olympus. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic still.

But I also think about moving to a new system, like Sony AR7s (but I can't justify the price for my requirements), Fuji X Series, or even the new Nikon Z 50.

The rate I'm going I'll probably stay with my GF-1!

The GF-1 was a great little camera.  As for the new EM5iii vs the GX9, both are very good cameras but you may prefer the handling on the GX9 since you are used to a smaller but similar form.  The EM5iii is quite a bit more expensive but also includes some features like Live Comp and Live Time that aren't on the GX9 and seem to be unique to Olympus.  I prefer the Panasonic's handling; like you, I started with the GF-1.  But I am a fan of some of the features that Oly offers that Panasonic doesn't have.  So, I use both.

As for the Sony a7r series, if you don't need the improved continuous AF, then the A7rii is a bargain for its sensor and there are a few good lenses that don't cost too much, but if you like wide aperture and telephoto zooms, Sony's are excellent but they are also pretty expensive and are harder to find used than the Canon and Nikon DSLR lenses.

-- hide signature --

Gary

G Rash's gear list:G Rash's gear list
Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow