Where do you buy vintage lenses? (actual stores)

Started Oct 16, 2019 | Discussions thread
chaimav
OP chaimav Senior Member • Posts: 1,361
Re: Where do you buy vintage lenses? (actual stores)

John Michael Winterbourne wrote:

chaimav wrote:

I have been trying to find a good local source of inexpensive vintage lenses and have yet to find one. So I thought about starting a thread on everyone's favorite place to shop (if you don't mind sharing your secret). I am aware of various online sites, but sometimes you to be able to touch and feel first and to find that rare gem, so please limit it brick and mortar stores.

If you - or anyone else - really want "rare gems" then a local bricks and mortar store is almost certainly the worst place to look. If the store knows what they are doing, they won't have a rare gem in the window, they will be looking for a much wider audience. If they don't, there maybe some bargains to be had, but I'm not confident this thread will help.

I assume these would be more in general thrift stores than used camera stores. Here in the USA one of the major thrift store operations is a charity called Goodwill. The problem is that the ones in my region don't sell lenses in store, but exclusively on their online auction site where others recognize value and drive up the prices accordingly.

On a roadtrip a few months I checked out one their stores in Vermont, which does sell lenses in store, and scored a Hexanon 52mm f1.8 for only $6 (price included the camera body and leather case). The lens is easily worth 4+ times as much when you factor in shipping costs on Ebay . The bottom line is that I highly doubt they had anyone on staff who knows enough about lenses to properly price them. I could definitely see scoring a gem in a place like that.

chaimav's gear list:chaimav's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow