What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,225
Re: What are your thoughts about Luminar? My first impression is heart heart heart.

SonyOB wrote:

Summing it up: The initial effort was not too good. The DAM was a failure while the Flex part was OK. People who do not use Luminar seem more hostile towards it than those who do. I use Adobe. Will Luminar be a viable alternative remains to be seen once v.4. is available.

As a very long time user of their products (from their first, when they were Macphun) I'd say my biggest reservation about Skylum is Skylum. I used Luminar through the demo on 3 (and Aurora, and Creative Kit, etc) and found that first, they tend to hop to new marketable features before getting fixes on stuff that already exists, and second that it's expensive. Unlike a very mature software product like Lr (where folks are still happily using 6 if they've got an older OS) you need to upgrade Skylum's stuff. And again, the hype and sizzle of new stuff like the DAM seems to always trail the reality.

But hey, if it works for you. My dislike (can't say it rises to hostility, I willing bought it after all) is more from disappointment, and the fact it didn't give me value for money. At say $75US and then $50/yr for the four years it's been out I feel a much better bargain is Lr and Ps.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow