Which is better for landscape and BIF photography a7Riii or a7iii?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
zBernie
OP zBernie Regular Member • Posts: 494
Re: Which is better for landscape and BIF photography a7Riii or a7iii?

dcstep wrote:

zBernie wrote:

I'm considering purchasing the Sony a7iii. But I would think the a7Riii with its 42mp sensor would be better for landscape photography. But I imagine the difference is negligible. I also like to shoot birds in flight, and will eventually get the Sony 200-600mm lens. I also shoot portraits, sports, macro, and other's

One of my concerns is the file sizes produced by a 42mp sensor would be much larger than the a7iii's 24mp sensor. Can someone tell me the size difference for 14bit raw?

So is it a slam dunk to go for the a7Riii over the a7iii, or are their other considerations?

-Thanks

Only because you mention BIF, I think that you should consider a used a9, in the $2800 to $3000 range.

I own the a7RIII and the a9 and shoot BIF, almost daily. When I search my archive for "BIF", almost 1500-shots come up and that's only the "keepers". Given your print size max, then the a9 has plenty of resolving power for your landscape and other needs and will literally blow away the a7 variants when it comes to Tracking AF. Also, no rolling shutter distortion and no EVF blackout, which are problems in shooting sports.(Mechanical shutter will fix the rolling shutter distortion, but slow down fps).

With slow birds, you can struggle and get some decent shots with the a7 variants, but your keeper rate will be much higher with an a9, even for slow birds like eagles and herons. Acquisition and tracking with any of the long Sony FE zooms is almost instantaneous and tenacious.

If you weren't going to shoot BIF, then I'd suggest any a7 after the II.

Thanks, much to consider!

zBernie's gear list:zBernie's gear list
Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow