Where do you buy vintage lenses? (actual stores)

Started Oct 16, 2019 | Discussions thread
John Michael Winterbourne
John Michael Winterbourne Veteran Member • Posts: 3,173
Re: Where do you buy vintage lenses? (actual stores)

chaimav wrote:

I have been trying to find a good local source of inexpensive vintage lenses and have yet to find one. So I thought about starting a thread on everyone's favorite place to shop (if you don't mind sharing your secret). I am aware of various online sites, but sometimes you to be able to touch and feel first and to find that rare gem, so please limit it brick and mortar stores.

If you - or anyone else - really want "rare gems" then a local bricks and mortar store is almost certainly the worst place to look.  If the store knows what they are doing, they won't have a rare gem in the window, they will be looking for a much wider audience.  If they don't, there maybe some bargains to be had, but I'm not confident this thread will help.

Please post

• What region you are in (e.g. name of closest big city)

I'm in the West Midlands, UK.  But how big is big?  Birmingham (often called England's second city) isn't too far away - 50-60 miles?  I used to go there for work meetings (no time for shopping) but not since I retired last year.  Stoke-on-Trent is about 80 miles, ditto visits re work, but there is a Nikon authorised repair agency there that I used once in my own time.  No idea if they had a "used" section.

I'm closer to Hereford, visit fairly regularly, and it has a B&M camera shop that I have visited many times.  When I do, I always look at their 2nd hand lenses, but I've never bought one.  They are far too smart to put a "rare gem" in a tucked away cabinet.

• The name and location of your favorite source for vintage lenses.

Ebay UK.  Not what you wanted to hear, breaking your rule, but that's the truth.

• Any descriptions of the store would be nice such has selection, price range, general review, etc..

Go online and search for "ebay".....

I suppose that will come across as a 'clever clogs' reply, and of course it doesn't fit in with your idea of wanting to "touch and feel" - but maybe you should have said "touch, feel, mount to a camera and take some test shots"?  If not, I'm not sure how much you would get from touching/feeling a lens.

John Michael Winterbourne's gear list:John Michael Winterbourne's gear list
Olympus C-300 Zoom Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70 Nikon D80 +39 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow