Anyone brave enough to fix a Canon 24-70L by themselvs?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tomer litvin Forum Member • Posts: 99
Anyone brave enough to fix a Canon 24-70L by themselvs?

I have a Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L first gen. It's a great lens but I've recently got Err 01 when it have it on a Camera and try to change aperture. It only works fully open at 2.8. If I change it and try the take a picture I get Err 001 which indicates the connection between the camera and the aperture control is bad.
I cleaned the contacts and it didn't help so investigating a bit more I see it's a common issue and the problem is the connector between the lens board and the aperture control. The break with use. I can also hear it inside the lens when extending the barrel.

The part itself is only $10 but it requires complete disassembly of the lens which is why Canon charges a few hundred dollars to repair it.

I am positive I can replace the cable and put the whole thing back together but I read that the lens needs to be "calibrated" after you take it apart.
I am wondering if anyone here has done it or if there are any pros that repair lenses for a living and can give advice.

TIA

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow