Which is better for landscape and BIF photography a7Riii or a7iii?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,969
Re: Which is better for landscape and BIF photography a7Riii or a7iii?

zBernie wrote:

AZheaven wrote:

zBernie wrote:

I'm considering purchasing the Sony a7iii. But I would think the a7Riii with its 42mp sensor would be better for landscape photography. But I imagine the difference is negligible. I also like to shoot birds in flight, and will eventually get the Sony 200-600mm lens. I also shoot portraits, sports, macro, and other's

One of my concerns is the file sizes produced by a 42mp sensor would be much larger than the a7iii's 24mp sensor. Can someone tell me the size difference for 14bit raw?

So is it a slam dunk to go for the a7Riii over the a7iii, or are their other considerations?

-Thanks

The A7iii does very nice with landscape shots! And also with BIF, though honestly I haven't had the chance to really get out there to get BIF. My file size is about 49mb's with the A7iii. I shoot RAW Uncompressed. Of course with the A7Riii you have the ability to crop more.

I found a post here on DPReview about what you are asking for in wildlife photography.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61097667

Wow, 49mb is huge! I wonder how large the files are uncompressed raw for the a7Riii?

84MB or so.

And thank you, that thread was very informative.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow