Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,872
Re: Phase detect auto-focus

dibe wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

dibe wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

Brent Lossing wrote:

The big thing missing for me from the previous versions of the EM5 is the ability to shoot in near dark in the wilderness. Night shooting in the city is no problem because of street lights. The 4/3 E3 I had could shoot wonderfully 2 hours before sunrise. With the EM5-I/II I have had to wait until 30-45 minutes before. It is really a big difference when shooting.

All of the other features of the E5II I already am very satisfied with - if I want more resolution I shoot panorama, if I want more dynamic range I shoot in burst +/I evf. I use a tripod 70% of the time so handholding is not a big deal.

Can OSPDAF focus in lower light than CDAF? I thought that Panasonic’s DfD system had the best low light focusing.

Note that on the E-M1.2 (and I assume the E-M1X) PDAF is only used for C-AF. S-AF uses CDAF.

@Brent. I understand the Mark III will have improved noise control so that ISO 6400 is now like ISO 1600 in the Mark II.

Where did you get that information from? A 2 stop improvement is high ISO noise would be sensational and would be headlines in the news section. The sensor is the same as the E-M1.2 and that certainly is nowhere near 2 stops better than the E-M5ii.

Maybe you are referring to the improvement in IS, and particularly Sync IS with suitable lenses. That is probably a 2 stop improvement over the E-M5ii.

The review here (ephotozine ) has this statement:

Olympus says that the ISO performance has been improved by 2 stops, and ISO6400 is as good as ISO1600 on the E-M5 II, according to Olympus. We’ll have to test this to find out. This also means that Auto ISO can use higher ISO speeds without as much worry about noise.

So, still to be confirmed. But any improvement is of course always welcome.

Dirk

I can see where that statement might have some from.  There is a sentence in the Olympus press release which talks about “minimal noise at high sensitivity settings”.  I suspect that there may have been a translation error and that this refers to Sync IS.  As I said before, a two stop improvement in high ISO noise would be sensational and would have been the headline item in DPR’s commentary.

As you say, we shall see.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow