Catalina anyone?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Scott Vail Senior Member • Posts: 1,482
Re: Catalina anyone?

Scott Vail wrote:

Philip Eihuyar wrote:

Scott Vail wrote:

I upgraded a MacBook Pro a few days ago, just for my own comfort before downloading Catalina on a MacPro. All the usual problems that were anticipated, that really didn't matter except the anticipated Office 2011going up in smoke. Still not sure how I'm going to circumvent that -- but another topic altogether.

Office 2011 not working is a simple fix. You have to upgrade. No circumventing that.

Hmmm... not so simple since I was debating options to address this by eliminating Office and going with Number/Pages, LibreOffice, a virtual machine, or ???? I'm not sure I'm willing to part with MS Office as there are some things in Excel, such as Conditional Formatting/Highlighting that just isn't supported in Numbers. So, there's Office 2019 Home/Student perpetual (one device, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) for $150, or a subscription (all devices, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) for $70 annually. It would be nice to have Excel/Word on the MacBook Pro as well, but I have no use for Outlook, but I'm averse to the subscription.

I hadn't tested Bridge on the MacBook Pro and after reading your post, I was curious. Long story short, Adobe Bridge didn't present the same behavior with the downward pointing arrow icon. However, when opening an .afphoto file, I received the message that it couldn't open due to macOS being unable due to the possibility of malware (don't remember the exact syntax of the message.

Only Apple known approved apps will open without a warning. To open Affinity or any other app that gives this warning: Find the app in the application finder window and click the app while holding down the control key. A dropdown menu will appear and just click 'open'. You only have have to do this the first time and thereafter, it will open.

I'm pretty sure I tried that, but I'm definitely going to pursue a solution. The fact that Bridge 2018 is behaving differently than Bridge 2019, when opening a proprietary Affinity Photo file, perplexes me. It's obvious I'm overlooking something...

Philip,

Opening Affinity Photo was never an issue, but using Bridge and opening an .afphoto file produced the "malware/developer cannot be verified" message.

Long story short, it's been resolved.  Somewhere along the way, I'd manually added Affinity Photo to 'Security and Privacy>Full Disk Access and Files and Folders'.  I decided to start at the beginning to resolve this and removed Affinity Photo from Security and Privacy.  Having done that (and it's not exactly clear why), whatever was preventing Affinity Photo from opening a proprietary .afphoto file disappeared.  Initially, it appeared the problem was opening an .afphoto from a remote disk, but I'm not sure of that now.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Scott Vail's gear list:Scott Vail's gear list
Nikon D3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow