Sony A7R IV Sensor Dust Magnet?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 3,952
Re: Sony A7R IV Sensor Dust Magnet?

Verto wrote:

I keep hearing that the Sony cameras especially the A7R IV's sensor gets dirty faster than other mirrorless cameras... is this true? Tony Northrup says yes, is he right?

Doubtful.

In relation to the a7Riv, the physical layout of sensor & mount is the same as other Sony FF models, so there's no obvious reason why it would "get dirty faster".

Comparing between brands, I do think it's true that some brands have a more effective self-clean feature than Sony. And Canon ML have a feature where the shutter closes during lens swaps, which some claim reduces dust incursion (I'm not altogether convinced, but I haven't used it...).

Those minor caveats aside, I suspect that most mirrorless brands and models have a comparable susceptibility to dust.

However - while in ML cameras the sensors are more exposed (so dust may get to the sensor more difectly), it's equally true that ML sensors (being more accessible) are far easier to clean. Swings and roundabouts. I find that a quick puff with a "rocket blower" is enough in most cases.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony a6500 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow