A7R IV ISO Performance vs A7 III & AF?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M-1 Junior Member • Posts: 26
A7R IV ISO Performance vs A7 III & AF?

I’m looking to purchase an A7R IV. I’ve read up some concerns on these forums about ISO performance and auto focus performance.

The general consensus is that the A7R IV has slightly worse high ISO performance than the A7R III which I think is fine considering the megapixels. Does any one however have some ISO comparisons pictures between the A7 III & A7R IV? Yes the A7 III is meant more for low light with it’s lower megapixels but how big is the difference? I often like to take pictures during low light.

Also I’m a bit confused with the concerns about the AF? From my understanding the A7R IV has better AF than any other A7 series. But I hear there are some consistent missed focus issues and AF performance variance between production models? How likely can we expect Sony to fix this in firmware or issue a recall?

I don’t really wish to wait till all the kinks are fixed, however I’m also wary to be purchasing an expensive camera as the A7R IV and wondering if I should just purchase the A7 III and wait to see what Sony releases with the A7 IV or A7S III. Yes these are very different cameras in terms of megapixels and low pass filters but AF and overall performance is important to me which is why I keep all these cameras equally in consideration. After all, they should all take good images but a good price to performance ratio is important.

Thanks for any feedback

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7S Sony a7S II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
M-1
M-1
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
M-1
(unknown member)
M-1
M-1
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
M-1
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow