Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 3,761
Re: Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

DenImage wrote:

fferreres wrote:

DenImage wrote:

I just checked the Sony 85mm GM bokeh test at Lenstip:

https://www.lenstip.com/484.7-Lens_review-Sony_FE_85_mm_f_1.4_GM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html

F1.4

F2

F4

As the images indicate, the bokeh ball appears circular in the corner from f4

Den

It's obvious that there is, but it is obvious, any well corrected lens will show this "cat eye" at 85/1.4 or lower. Show me one lens that is largely the same diameter and curvature that doesn't and is high contrast and well corrected.

It's like people complaining about a car leaving marks in the ground after a very close curve at high speed successfully.

I'm not complaining, I don't own or use the 85mm GM.

I actually agree with you, I am stating the 85mm GM has cateye bokeh in the corner like most lenses.

Read my earlier posts, I was responding to Dericali's post where he claimed:

"It’s meant as a demonstration of the shape of bokeh at f1.4 on this lens, if you use the f1.8 version you will get cats eyes"

The only current lens I've seen that doesn't have cateye bokeh balls is the 100mm STF. It's free of any mechanical vignetting, but the 85mm GM isn't.

Den

Sorry if it sounded like that. I was not including you, I understood you where providing the evidence. I was speaking generally, and had not noticed the Dericali. Likely, the only ones without these, may be the FL equivs for Medium Format, or likewise, thes on APSC. Basically, the lens needs to be much bigger, since we can't do much about what and when physics tells light must bounce.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow