Differences in Photomerge allignment options?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,837
Differences in Photomerge allignment options?

So i've been playing around with some landscape panos and decided to experiment with the different blending options in photomerge. The options are as follows.

• Auto
  • Perspective
  • Cylindrical
  • Spherical
  • Collage
  • Reposition

So far i have noticed a few common occurrences with a few of them. Perspective seems to pinch the middle waaaaay too much, which means the left and right sides lose a lot of real estate when cropping everything clean (and i suspect they are far softer in relation to the middle bc of it). Cylindrical and Spherical seem to keep everything together much better but Spherical tends to have a slight bow which needs to be corrected further with distortion correction. Cylindrical has worked the best so far.

Judging by the icon, collage doesn't seem to be designed for WA panos like the rest and i haven't tried it, and Reposition seemed to not do anywhere close to the other two, it caused a lot of wrap around. For the record i have used auto in the past but i just wanted to learn the manual choices to have more control over the output.

So i welcome any and all info on these options. I have looked up many videos and such on photomerge but none actually explain the different options above, they usually say just use auto. What's the difference? How does one algorithm differ from another? Are there specific scenes that are better for one than another? Here is one example i tried today, a shot of the Mississippi. It's made from 24 shots and Cylindrical blending was used.

The final file was just over 200mp after cropping, the one below is 30mp, although i don't know if DPR will display the whole rez file. Im also aware of the vignetting which would be fixed by stopping the lens down which i forgot to do this time.

Also, i pay for PS CC so i welcome any other editing programs but only those that are free.

-- hide signature --

"Some by force and some by choice
In time you all shall leave me
I do not fear to be alone
Solitary, I will atone...." -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow