focus peaking on m43 ... how good is it?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 3,787
Re: focus peaking on m43 ... how good is it?

Focus peaking works great on the EM-1 I with the 12-40, 35-100, 8mm FE, and 60 macro for landscape and wildflowers. It takes a while to get used to, as when the signal is weak, parts of the image may not be in focus; but when the signal is strong you will get good focus.

In landscape I trust focus peaking a lot more than I do any other method of DOF concerned focus and it is quick. I routinely shoot several different compositions and FL's in landscape images and it is as quick to use focus peaking as it is to compose using a zoom and framing. It becomes limited in low light situations or in situations where there is no contrast in an image - then you have to be careful. But S-AF also doesn't really work in those low light situations. It is likely Magnify is more accurate, but is also much slower and kind of confusing to use as you need to understand what part of the image you are focusing on. I do use Magnify to double check on playback an image.

In wildflower and moss images I use Focus Peaking and Focus Stacking, but this can be more difficult more because it is hard to know exactly how the Focus Stack will turn out. Best here to Focus Bracket.

I used it on birds with the 75-300 at first without much success. But you have to realize that at 300mm or so, DOF is very shallow. It works here with care to get the strongest signal on the subject.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow